Archive for September, 2009
Posted on September 28th, 2009 by admin
Oasis is going back to sea today (Monday the 28th). This will be her second (and hopefully final) sea trial. Most of the key systems were already tested on the first sea trial and this one should (repeat should) be conformational. Nevertheless, they do want to check out the bow thrusters which were an issue on the first trial and they want a chance to verify that all systems work properly together and under stress. There will be over 700 workers onboard checking everything out which gives a good sense of the care being taken. (more…)
15 Comments »
Posted on September 18th, 2009 by admin
It is very difficult getting photos from the construction that are meaningful because of construction equipment and protection materials, but I thought the latest pictures were very good and include them below along with my comments. You can see bigger versions of the pictures in a slideshow of the images here . Don’t forget to click the “Show Info” to see my captions.
- The Champagne Bar looks forlorn without its furnishings, but you can already see how elegant it will be.
- The theater needs no caption.
This is the Jazz Club on 4. Cool, man.
- Another view of the Jazz Club. I particularly like the comfortable button-tufted couches.
- The Central Area of the Dining Room. Different from anything we’ve done before and I was impressed. The yard had grumbled about curving the undersides of the balconies (curves are a lot of work) but even they now agree it was worth the effort.
- Studio B
- The Royal Promenade looking through the Rising Tide Bar. Note the Schooner Bar to the left. People can wave as the Bar risies.
- More Central Park construction.
- The upper level of Dazzles. I remember the discussion about those light fixtures 2 years ago. There was a lot odf skepticism, but they really fit the space. The real thrill (at least for me) is the view out onto the Boardwalk but that is all covered here.
Dazzling Dazzles. The view from the stage. Note the dance floor although it is partially covered.
- Central Park under construction. We won’t get a real sense of it until all the planting is done.
- This is the Royal Suite. Not bad, but it still isn’t the largest stateroom on OASIS.
- A view down to Boardwalk. Workers sure are messy.
- One of the hidden jewels. The Solarium is breathtaking.
- One of two Flowriders. The loft cabin balconies are in the background.
- The Viking Crown Lounge. The decor is nice, but the view is spectacular.
And here's . . . OASIS OF THE SEAS.
A closer view from across the harbour.
- OASIS from the stern. Still all wrapped up.
Look at ALLURE taking shape behind OASIS.
24 Comments »
Posted on September 15th, 2009 by Richard
I started this blog as a lark and I have enjoyed doing it. I didn’t know what to expect and I’m still learning. A few general observations and comments: (more…)
31 Comments »
Posted on September 14th, 2009 by Richard
Who knew that planting trees and bushes would be so complicated? (more…)
8 Comments »
Posted on September 11th, 2009 by Richard
I’ve previously commented on what I call the “NASA affect” where new ideas created for one specific purpose has a broader impact across the fleet. One such issue relates to our security screening and it seems to be one that resonates with a surprising number of people. Actually, I was surprised at how significant people viewed our innovation here. I thought this improvement was one of the more minor areas our people have been focused on but I underestimated how interested people are in it. (more…)
5 Comments »